- Personal service has become a rare commodity within the community of larger law firms. Maharaj Jugoo Attorneys Inc. is committed to providing the highest quality legal services in a timely and personalized manner, while developing long-term client relationships based on close cooperation and solid results.
- By understanding our client’s needs – and their industry and business, our practice is able to provide responsive, results-oriented service in a cost-effective manner that assists our clients in achieving their individual goals.
- The law firm has extensive litigation, finance, corporate and commercial law experience and we have managed challenging transactional work and trials using a project management approach which is integrated with the legal procedures and processes as well as best practice.
- Each matter is assigned to a specific individual who has knowledge and expertise in that particular area of law. In complex matters, a project plan is created and managed in terms of the instructions and timelines to be followed. The appointed attorney then works closely with the
- We believe in solid case preparation and case project management with the resolve and determination to obtain the best possible result for our clients . We work closely with our clients and are always available to answer questions and are committed in our support of them and their future success.
- Clients expect their law firms to understand their needs, problems, business and industry trends, and markets. In addition to understanding the business, however we believe it is essential to consider legal strategy and cases in light of clients’ legal and commercial objectives. Other qualities which we have inculcated in our firm are:
- Empathy, the ability to put oneself in clients’ shoes
- Pragmatism and practicality
- Creativity and bringing opportunities or threats to clients in advance, not reactively
- Flexibility and adaptability
- We believe that a client-centered focus requires that firms become knowledgeable about the client’s business, industry, objectives, organizational structure, competitors, threats, and organizational values and culture. We accomplish this by doing more secondary research about a client’s industry and the company itself, as well as gathering research. The best way to conduct this deep dive is by interacting with the clients themselves through talking to them, visiting their facilities and meeting those on the business side.
- Designating one professional staff member as a central point of contact who is accountable for oversight of the relationship (as distinct from matter/case oversight)
- Key client teams focused on service levels developed jointly by the firm and the client, not those designed only to cross-sell or sell more services.
- Regular feedback through formal interviews, after action or end-of-matter surveys and debriefings, where the feedback is shared and acted upon.
- Client service plans, protocols and standards.
- Client and customer service training for lawyers and staff
Our Approach to Legal Project Management
- Set Objective and Define Scope
- Identify and Schedule Activities
- Assign Tasks and Manage the Team
- Assess the Risks to the Schedule of Work
- Budgeting (Plan and Managing)
- Managing Quality
- Manage client communication
- Negotiate changes in Scope
- After Action Review.
For example, clarifying the scope of a merger or acquisition project involves consideration of several major issues such as:
- What is the overall goal to be accomplished by the deal?
- What are the key constraints that will impact the deal?
- What are the key outputs?
- Who are the key players?
- What is the schedule?
Component factors of these issues might include the following:
- What will be the structure of the deal – Asset purchase? Stock purchase? Merger? What are the requirements specific to that structure?
- What are the laws governing the transaction? (Jurisdictional rules, antitrust, securities regulations, employment laws, industry regulations, etc.) What agencies are implicated?
- What are the tax implications?
- What needs to be included in the letter of intent?
- What are the contingencies for completing the deal?
- What is the appropriate due diligence?
- What should it encompass and how extensive should it be?
- What are the financing issues?
- What disclosures are required and when? (Board, investors)
- What ancillary agreements will be required in addition to the purchase agreement?
- In the drafting of a contract, we take in account, inter alia, the following aspects:
The essential of a contract;
- Attending to set up a briefing session on the contract;
- Nature of the products and/or services and its quantities
- Understanding of the Conditions Precedent which may be applicable;
- Viewing and Understanding the Products
- Collating Source Documentation;
- Understanding of Risk and Liability;
- Understanding Delivery, Payment, Modes and Terms incl. exchange control, currency, FOB
- Jurisdiction and Applicable Legal System;
- Dispute Resolution Mechanism;
Further steps would be:
- Communicating with Client to set up meetings;
- Drafting of the Contract taking quality check consistently;
- Sending out for Comments and Discussion;
- Advice on key points – commercial and legal
- Assimilating Comments and Amendments;
- Final Execution Version for Signature;
- Being on hand for the Signature Ceremony if necessary.
Infrastructure – Information Technology Capabilities
The firm believes that the use and mastering of cutting edge technology is essential in today’s fast changing world and necessary for a modern successful legal practice. We use the latest sophisticated technologies to provide greater service and value to our clients. These advantages have proven to be an invaluable partner both in and out of the courtroom. We are proficient in the use of state-of-the-art computers, communication tools, modern research methods, the Internet, online resources, DVD and CD research, the use of modern case management tools, telephone technology, and the management and use of digital and electronic information.
For years, we have employed these tools to achieve better results for our clients. We are committed to maintaining this advantage. With these technologies, we can work, collaborate, and assist clients virtually from anywhere in the world.
Representing National Corporations – Additional Expertise
The combined experience gained by the professional resources at our firm to major corporation is in excess of 55 years and they have been involved in extensive and high profile litigation and commercial law service for such organisations.
In view of the professional legal services which we have dealt with thus far, we believe that the reputation of our firm has been greatly enhanced and our expertise in the private and public sector world extended to include the type of commercial and corporate work reserved for the bigger firms.
With regard to our strengths in the various fields of law that will be of benefit to your organisation, we set our hereunder our additional expertise and experience in the following fields:
- High and Magistrates Court Litigation
- Banking & Finance
- Forensic analysis & Taxation
- Due Diligence
- Insolvency and Business Rescue